Bienenstock's Guiding Principles
Over the past three decades, Bienenstock has developed a set of ten principles that are reflected in every one of our natural park and playground projects:
In our parks and playgrounds:
- You will hear laughter.
- Play is unstructured, self-directed, and creative, not prescriptive.
- Play is built on a backbone of real, raw, nature.
- Bugs, birds, dirt, hills, rocks, water, and trees are the good stuff.
- Bumps, bruises and scrapes are celebrated.
- There are four seasons, we play in all of them.
- We must all be compelled to move.
- We will engage all of our senses.
- We must create obstacles, increase risk, and decrease hazards.
- Size matters; we all deserve to feel small next to an ancient tree or huge next to a challenge.